Saturday 4 February 2012

I Love It When It Snows!

Hey guys.  It's D again.  I know that I haven't posted for a while but here I go again.  :-)  It started snowing today and I must say  that there are times when I love the snow and times when I am not so pleased with it but the majority of the times I love it - and this is one of those times!

It started snowing as I made my way back from a dash to the catering shop in Clapham North to pick up a catering thermometer before they shut.  I made it and then realised that I didn't need to rush out as James Nicholas opened a really delicious cookshop in Balham.  I love it in there!  Well - I have to say that I went in on  my way back and they DID have a thermometer (which I also bought - taking the other one back), an icing kit and some cute cupcake cases.   as I walked back it started to snow and I decided this was my favourite time to bake!    If I could choose to do anything tonight it would be this...... "sitting in front of the fire, curled up with a soya chai latte and cookie dough ice-cream, watching a good movie with a particular friend".  In the absence of aforementioned company my next best thing is to do something just as cosy - bake!!  What better than to fill the house with warm, sweet aromas that greet you as you open the door - that moment when you leave the crisp fresh cold and enter the warmth of a home?  Not a house, a home.

So I picked up a few more ingredients and this is what I have ended up with..


I know that we are meant to be using a cookbook a month but sometimes I think the moment just takes you and you make what your heart fancies.  I have:
double cream, unsalted butter, gelatine, cornflour, plain flour, liquid glucose, icing sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, eggs and an icing kit!  I obviously have the other larder staples (other types of sugar, syrup, milk, etc.).   I am thinking...
- Marshmallows (first time!)
- Iced gourmet cupcakes (not sure of the flavour yet)
- Creme Brulee (I really have to make use of the egg yolks the marshmallows leave behind).

I also plan to go for a walk round the block in the snow at some point!  Watch this spot.  And just because I can - here is a picture of the best mouthful of food I had the other night.  Last mouthful of a supper of sorts...  I was a little proud of the way I managed to capture it - the clarity...


And also just because I can - a little bargain I found when I popped into the farmers market.....  totally lush pork and apple sausage roll.  Yummy flaky pastry and quality meat from the Little Jack Horner's stall.  I also picked up a squirrel pie which I am looking forward to trying in a couple of weeks time...


For now - I better get focused if you are going to get to see anything else on here.  I may pop on to put the snow photos up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment